Are you ready to “Take Control in 1, 2, 3” in the event of a natural storm disaster in Dane County Wisconsin?
National Preparedness Month (NPM) is an observance each September to raise awareness about the importance of preparing for disasters and emergencies that could happen at any time. This year’s theme focuses on preparing older adults that are impacted by all-hazard incidents.
SERVPRO® is once again proud to be a member of the National Preparedness Month Coalition and is committed to helping the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in its efforts to promote the importance of preparedness planning.
This year’s theme, “Take Control in 1, 2, 3,” encourages everyone, especially older adults, to become more prepared in three simple steps:
Step 1: Assess your needs. Everyone has unique needs. There are several factors that can affect the steps you need to take to prepare yourself and those you care for. Here are some common questions to assess your needs:
- How will I receive emergency alerts and warnings?
- What is my shelter plan?
- What is my evacuation route?
- What is my family/household communication plan?
- Do I need to update my emergency preparedness kit?
Step 2: Make a plan. Once you’ve assessed your needs, you can plan for what you’d do, where you’d go and what to bring if a disaster strikes. Your emergency supply kit should include items that meets your individual needs. Keep in mind some of these factors when developing your plan:
- Different ages of members within your household
- Responsibilities for assisting others
- Locations frequented
- Dietary needs
- Medical needs, including prescriptions and equipment
- Disabilities or access and functional needs, including devices and equipment
- Languages spoken
- Cultural and religious considerations
- Pets or service animals
- Households with school-aged children
Step 3: Engage your support network. Get to know your neighbors because they, along with your family and friends, can be a support network before, during and after a disaster by providing emotional and practical support.
- Practice your plan with your family/household. Build a Kit. Gather supplies that will last for several days after a disaster for everyone living in your home. Don't forget to consider the uniqueness of each person or pet if you have to evacuate quickly. Update your kits and supplies based on recommendations by
Know the risk of disasters in your area and check your insurance coverage.
Learn how to make your home and business stronger in the face of storms and other common hazards and act fast if you receive a local warning or alert.
- Know what storm disasters and hazards could affect your area.
- Identify how to get emergency alerts.
- Identify where you would go if you and your family need to evacuate.
- Make sure your family has a plan and practices it often.
Floods, tornadoes, snow, hail and ice storms are natural disasters found in the Dane County, Madison, WI area. Every type of natural disaster brings its own type of devastation and damage.
Should you experience storm damage, SERVPRO of Dane County West is Here To Help 24/7. #stormdamage #DisasterRecovery #propertydamage #cleanup and #restoration
SERVPRO is the #1 Property Damage and Restoration Company.