11 Tips to Prevent Pipes From Freezing Near You
Water has a unique property of expanding as it freezes that can cause pipes to crack and then burst. The ensuing rush of water can cause considerable damage to your property if not addressed quickly.
Tips to Prevent Pipes From Freezing in the Dane County, Madison, WI area:
- Inspect outdoor faucets. Find the indoor shut-off valve for the outdoor faucet in the basement or crawl space and shut it off. Then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it relieves pressure and drains completely.
- Make sure that your heating system is maintained regularly. Also, inspect the insulation on all of your plumbing as well as your cold water tank. Units in the attic should be protected with insulated sleeves.
- Keep your heat on throughout the winter months. During harsh, cold months, the chances of your pipes freezing increases as the temperature plummets.
- Clean your gutters so melting snow and ice can flow freely.
- Open cabinet doors below sinks. It will help allow warm air to circulate.
- Drain your water system if you are away for an extended time.
- Disconnect all gardening hoses and install covers on all outside faucets.
- Wrap pipes nearest exterior walls and in crawl spaces with pipe insulation or with heating tape.
- Close all windows near water pipes; cover or close open-air vents. Freezing temperatures combined with wind drafts can cause pipes to freeze more frequently.
- Heat your basement and consider weather sealing your windows.
- Insulate outside walls and unheated areas of your home.
When winter strikes, call SERVPRO of Dane County West to strike back. Should you experience water damage from flooding, ice dam damage, melted snow, or burst water pipes, we are available 24/7 for emergency fire & water restoration services.
SERVPRO of Dane County West is proud to serve the Dane County, Madison, WI area. Equipped with the training, tools, and experience to quickly and efficiently mitigate water or fire damage and restore your home or business, SERVPRO of Dane County West will help make it "Like it never even happened.”
- 24-Hour Emergency Service.
- IICRC Certified Firm.
- A+ rating from the BBB (Better Business Bureau).
- Angie's List recommended with an A-rated reputation
- 5-Star Google rankings.
- We work with your insurance to help manage the insurance process and paperwork for a stress-free claims process.
- General Contractor License #: 1317784
Have Water, Storm, Flood, or Fire Damage?
Call SERVPRO of Dane County West Today (608) 497-3331