Cooking Safety Tips for Fire Prevention Near You
Did you know that cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries in the Dane County, WI area?
The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking according to NFPA.
Safety tips to prevent home cooking fires.
- Never leave the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling or broiling food.
- Fires start when the heat is too high, if you see signs of smoke or boiling grease, turn off the burner
- Keep all combustible material such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains away from you stovetop.
Safety considerations for cooking with oil
- Keep an eye on what you fry. If you see wisps of smoke or the oil smells, immediately turn off the burner and/or carefully remove the pan from the burner. Smoke is a danger sign that the oil is too hot.
- Add food gently to the pot or pan so the oil does not splatter.
- Always cook with a lid beside your pan. If you have a fire, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Do not remove the cover because the fire could start again. Let the pan cool for a long time. Never throw water on the fire.
- If the fire does not go out or you don’t feel comfortable sliding a lid over the pan, get everyone out of your home. Call the fire department from outside.
If you have a cooking fire
- Get out of the house if you have a fire! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number after you leave.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
Should you experience a fire, water, smoke, or soot damage, we’re fire and water damage specialists in the Dane County, Madison, WI area.
We specialize in fire and water damage restoration, the cornerstone of our business. We have extensive fire damage cleanup and restoration training to get your property back to pre-fire condition.
- SERVPRO of Dane County West is an IICRC Certified Firm including technicians certified in the following:
- Fire & Smoke Restoration
- Odor Control
- Water Damage Restoration
- Applied Structural Drying
- Mold remediation
- We make it "Like it never ever happened," specializing in rebuilding water or fire damaged homes back to their preloss condition. General Contractor License #1317784
SERVPRO of Dane County West can help manage the insurance paperwork and process for a stress-free claims process.
5-Star Google and Facebook Ratings. A+ BBB Rating. Independently owned and operated in the Madison, WI, Dane County area.
Water Damage, Flood Damage, Fire Damage or Mold Damage?
Call SERVPRO of Dane County West Today –(608) 497-3331