Fire Damage - What to Do Until Help Arrives
A fire can leave behind soot, smoke damage and a host of other problems. Ceilings, walls, woodwork, carpeting, and floors will often need a thorough professional cleaning. If your home or business suffers a fire, it is important to take the appropriate steps to prevent further damage until SERVPRO of Dane County West Professionals arrive. The following tips may help reduce damage and increase chances of a successful restoration.
- DO: Limit movement of people in the structure to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- DO: Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- DO: Place dry, colorfast towels on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- DO: If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely, and prop doors open to help prevent odors.
- DO: Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances.
- DO: Pour antifreeze into sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs if heat is off during freezing season.
- DO: Gently wash both sides of leaves on indoor plants.
- DO: Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until checked by a trained professional.
- DO: Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- Don't: Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Dane County West.
- Don't: Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO of Dane County West.
- Don't: Attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, computers, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service person.
- Don't: Consume any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. (They may be contaminated.)
- Don't: Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock.
- Don't: Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.