7 Holiday Fire Safety Tips in The Dane County, Madison Area
Pretty lights, candles, and decorations are just a few of the items bringing charm and cheer to the holiday seasons—however, if they are not used carefully your holidays may go from festive to frightening.
Holiday Fire Safety Tips Near You:
- Place Christmas trees, candles, and other holiday decorations at least three feet away from heat sources such as fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, and heat vents.
- Make sure that light strings and other holiday decorations are in good condition. Do not use anything with frayed electrical cords and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Always unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving the property or going to bed.
- Never leave burning candles unattended or sleep in a room with a lit candle.
- Don't burn trees, wreaths or wrapping paper in the fireplace
- Make sure candles are on stable surfaces.
- Check and clean the chimney and fireplace area at least once a year.
The National Fire Protection Association reports that 12% of home fires occur in December. The higher risk of fire and smoke damage during the holiday season comes with fireplace and candle usage.
If the unthinkable happens and a fire strikes, give the experts at SERVPRO of Dane County West a call at (608) 497-3331.
As a locally owned and operated company, we also live and work in the Dane County, WI area. We have helped many families through difficult fire losses and have restored fire-damaged houses to homes again. We'll help make it "Like it never even happened."
Your SERVPRO of Dane County West family wish you a safe and happy holiday season!