Do's & Don'ts after Contaminated Water Damage
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first.
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials are heavy. Be careful!
Contaminated water, also known as Category-3 "black" water, has chemicals, microbes, or physical alterations. Sources for Category-3 water could include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth. Category 3 water may contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, microbes, and water from flooding rivers and streams or a sewer backup.
If you have water damage from storm damage, flooding, or sewage overflow, here are some tips until help arrives.
- Do: Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Do: Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Do: Stay out of affected areas of harmful waste (sewage, blood-borne pathogens, etc.)
- Do: Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Do: Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Don't: Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Don't: Turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Don't: Use household fans to dry the structure and spread the contaminants.
- Don't: Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to contaminated areas.
- Don't: Attempt cleanup of any kind.
- Don't: Touch or handle items that are contaminated with bodily fluids.
Help is on the way!
If water damage strikes your property, let us help strike back! Equipped with the training, tools, and experience to quickly and efficiently mitigate water or fire damage and restore your home or business, SERVPRO of Dane County West will help make it "Like it never even happened.”®
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- IICRC Certified Firm
- A+ rating from the BBB (Better Business Bureau).
- Angie's List recommended with an A-rated reputation
- 5-Star Google and Facebook rankings.
- We work with your insurance to help manage the insurance process and paperwork for a stress-free claims process.
- General Contractor License #: 1317784
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call SERVPRO of Dane County West today (608) 497-3331