The Three Ps of Family Fire Safety
A Safety Plan like the Three Ps can help prevent home fires
The best way to protect your family’s safety from a home fire is to teach all family members about fire prevention. The three Ps of safety is a plan provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the U.S. Fire Administration.
The three Ps of fire prevention are:
Prepare – This step focuses on reducing the risk of fire damage situations
Practice – This step covers conducting fire drills and overall fire safety habits
Prevent – This final step includes teaching your family about getting out safely
Prepare Your Home
There are several situations common to any home that could lead to fire damage,
- overloaded electrical outlets
- old and damaged wiring
- old appliances.
- unattended lit candles
- clutter near a hot stove
Prepare, Practice and Prevent the above situations to eliminate the possibility of unwanted and unexpected fire. Involve your children and the whole will family be safer.
Practice Fire Escape Plans
Establish a fire escape plan and for your entire family, then run drills regularly. These drills should include:
- what to do if the primary escape route is blocked. During these drills, watch out for things such as clutter in the hall
- taking time to practice that if a doorknob is too hot to touch it is not safe to open the door.
- discussing the importance of remaining low to the ground so you don't inhale smoke while exiting
Prevent Fire Injuries
This part of the family plan should include:
- discussions with children about not playing with matches or lighters but telling an adult about them
- teaching your family the Stop, Drop, Roll technique in the event their clothing is on fire
- talking about never going back into a building that's on fire
There are many resources available for your safety practices and fire prevention habits. SERVPRO of Dane County West understands that fire and smoke damage can be devastating to not only a business or home’s structure but to the property owner especially. We are a IICRC fire remediation certified firm and are here to help
Consistently review the three Ps of fire safety to protect your family from harm.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call SERVPRO of Dane County West (608) 497-3331
24-Hour Emergency Service. Independently owned and operated.